Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Busy Day

Blake had a very eventful day. She started Musik Garten today, a music/movement program for little ones. My parents graciously decided they would take her to St. Luke's for this class that meets every Wednesday from today through December for an hour in the mornings. There are only 9 babies in the class. Grandma says Blake had fun, and was kicking her legs and wiggling her arms (which she does alot when she gets excited).

Then after picking her up after school, we met up with Tim and went for it. Blake's ears are now pierced. (Enter your opinion here) We think she looks adorable, and yes we thought she did before, too. It was hard for us to see her cry, and yes I cried, too. We made sure to do all the paperwork, prepping, paying, sterilizing, sanitizing... everything before the piercing started. I wanted to be able to leave asap in case Blake was upset. When the first ear was done, it took a little bit before the noise came. First the face crinkled up, pause, then the crying! Then I started crying, then the second ear was done quickly. As soon as I turned her around to cuddle her, and stood up to leave, she stopped crying. I stopped crying when we got to the car. Blake fell asleep on the way home and woke up 45 minutes later as happy as can be!

Adorable!

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious- I've noticed that some people will choose to pierce their baby girl's ears when they're very young, and I had to fight to get mine pierced when I was in Kindergarten! Is this a cultural thing? Why did you guys decide to pierce Blake's ears?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was searching for GF's blog and came across yours by accident. Just wanted to comment on your following your mommy intuition and having your dd's ears pierced now when you can care for them.

    I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child’s ear. “Let them decide” is being replaced by parental decision when mommy intuition knows, “earlier is better” from either personal or friend’s experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing. I think it just depends on your own personal choice whether or not you wish your baby or little girl to have pierced ears.

    Some feel perceived gender of their child is important while others find it a cultural tradition where all infant girls have pierced ears.

    We had a 2 mo old and I wanted her ears pierced after seeing other babies and little girls with pretty earrings, so I asked our ped. She encouraged me to go ahead and pierce her ears especially when mommy can care for them.

    I’d say you were a smart mommy for not only thinking about it now, and following your your mommy intuition telling you now was a good time.

    If any other moms would like our ped’s suggestions for moms having their little girls ears pierced, write me an e-mail.

    Your dd is adorable and will thank you later for the gift of "pierced ears" as an infant!

    Amy

    Amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete