Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Creating a Mom Cave

In all actuality... closet not cave! But mom cave sounds better. This project came about because I was tired of living like this:
The computer desk stayed a mess due to the fact that there was virtually no storage anywhere near it. Also, anytime I was in the middle of another crafty project, I moved my stuff from the kitchen table where I was working to the desk to be out of the way. Hated it! Besides I think the 10 years I've had that desk (from college) is long enough!

After being totally inspired by this desk I just knew I could do something similar! Big thanks to my understanding husband who lets me tackle crazy things like this, and to my dad for his power tools! So I ripped apart my husband's two closets (isn't he great!?) and condensed him to one, moving the single rods from both closets into the second closet making it a double rod closet! Still has two rods and two shelves, all his stuff is just in one closet not two.
Once my "cave" was empty, I put in two pieces of wood (paint grade shelving from Lowe's) one 16" deep for the desktop and one 12" deep for the overhead shelf. The vertical shelving on the left side was a piece of furniture from my high school days that was previously used in the kids' nursery. I popped the top and bottom off and it is the perfect way to mimic a built-in!
Some caulk, paint, and accessories from around the house... I am very happy! Now if I have lots of places to store things, but if something should be out on my desk, I'll just close the closet doors. Problem solved!
If you're wondering, my file cabinet and shredder are tucked neatly under the desk on the left, and the computer tower and printer tucked away on the right. I love everything being out of the way and out of sight!
My mom cave is not dark as it appears, thanks camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment